Wednesday, January 13, 2010

(Almost) back to school!

My time in Bethesda is winding down; I've been working on transferring my semester schedule to Google Calendar and doing all my last-minute shopping for things I can't find (or that are prohibitively expensive) back in Blacksburg. What does that include? Staples like Goya canned beans, big containers of soy yogurt, a variety of tempeh, pizza dough and arrabiata sauce from Trader Joe's are currently nestled in my shopping bags alongside Peppermint Joe-Joe's (also from TJs), mango pickle, urad dal flour from the Indian store, cashew butter and pear sauce.
My most exciting purchase this break might be a gorgeous set of pasta bowls from Crate and Barrel, courtesy of my mom. Thanks, Mom! I told her to hold onto them as a birthday gift but here's a photo to tide me over 'til April:
This semester is definitely going to be a tough one but at least I'm at the halfway point in my classroom schooling. Only three more semesters before I'm in clinics! The schedule is actually set up quite nicely for those of us who aren't in food animal or equine classes. I rarely have class before noon on Mondays for the first month or so. Also, zumba is offered at a far better time this semester and I'm hoping to regularly go to that until it warms up and lightens up enough to run outside after class.
Finally, foodwise, I haven't been up to much. I've been noshing on a steady diet of black bean burgers and sweet potato fries twice a day lately although I did have a lovely post-lunch snack today: the cardamom cream cheese frosting from the carrot cake smeared into the pocket of a pita and eaten with very (oat-)milky cold coffee. Next I think I might try dipping baby carrots in the frosting--hey, it can't be that much worse than ranch dip, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment