Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Busy busy busy

So school has started up and I already have two quizzes tomorrow, a lab to read up on, four lunch meetings next week and a headache that can't be put into words.
The good news is, I have had some delicious food to soothe my aching brow!  Tonight, I took a break and whipped up some vegan white chocolate, courtesy of a recipe from the blog Bittersweet.
Saturday is Iron Chef #3: Vet School... this time, the ingredient is chocolate.  Perfect for me, really!  I have to design an appetizer, entree and dessert all incorporating chocolate in some fashion.  I figured this was as good a time as any to learn how to make the cocoa-based mole of Mexico as well as an opportunity to use the cocoa butter languishing in my cellar for some DELICIOUS white chocolate.  I have to say, having not eaten it in about six years, it tastes heavenly to me.  I took Hannah's tip, from the blog, to use real vanilla beans and she's right--the black flecks make it look gorgeously sophisticated!
I also made the swiss chard frittata from Vegan Brunch over the weekend to eat during the week and it turned out quite well--so well, in fact, that I demolished it in a scant three days.  I'd also made a calzone filling of roast butternut squash, onions and garlic sauteed until translucent and floppy and then mixed with a can of chickpeas, a few leaves of fresh sage and red pepper flakes and, finally, pan-seared kale with a liberal helping of fresh-cracked black pepper and sea salt.  Add to all of that a few dots of tomato paste and spoon the whole thing into Trader Joe's pizza dough and it made for some irresistible calzones!
Photos of it all will--hopefully--be forthcoming this weekend after I have some time to breathe.  Until then, though, it's all red blood cells and anesthesia for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment